CORE FRENCH PROGRAM
Wellington Catholic is committed to Ontario's vision for French as a Second Language:
Students will communicate and interact with growing confidence in French, one of Canada's official languages, while developing the knowledge, skills, and perspectives they need to participate fully as citizens in Canada and the world.
The Curriculum for French as a Second Language
Goals of the FSL curriculum
Students will strive to:
- use French to communicate and interact effectively in a variety of social settings;
- learn about Canada, its two official languages, and other cultures;
- appreciate and acknowledge the interconnectedness and interdependence of the global community;
- be responsible for their own learning, as they work independently and in groups;
- use effective language learning strategies;
- become lifelong language learners for personal growth and for active participation as world citizens
The ability to communicate is the foundation of the Core French program, providing students with opportunities to effectively interact with others in authentic and relevant situations. There is significant emphasis on listening and speaking which serve as a springboard to the development of reading and writing skills. Since language and culture are intertwined, students develop an understanding of, and appreciation and respect for, diverse cultures.
FSL in the International Baccalaureate-Primary Years Program
The IB PYP is offered at Sacred Heart Catholic School, Guelph.
Second language learning is integral to the IB philosophy and as such, Core French is offered from Kindergarten to Grade 3, followed by the provincially mandated FSL programs in Grades 4 to 8.
FSL in Grades 4-8
Core French is mandatory for Ontario students in Grades 4 to 8. Students receive an accumulated total of 600 hours of French instruction by the end of Grade 8.
FSL in Grade 9 and Beyond
Students require 1 Grade 9 French credit in order to graduate with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), either in the Applied or Academic Pathway.
A student may choose up to 2 additional credits in FSL as compulsory credits in order to fulfill the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
Wellington Catholic believes in inclusive education and all students are included in the Core French program.