As the 2022-2023 school year comes to an end, we would like to share our sincere appreciation to you for partnering with us throughout this year in Catholic Education.
This year we had much to celebrate including:
- An uninterrupted year of learning for our students which included a return to extra-curricular clubs, sports and other activities;
- World Robotics Champions from Our Lady of Lourdes -Our Lady of Lourdes CHS winning the FIRST Robotics World Championship;
- Expanded learning opportunities for Indigenous Education, experiential learning, and outdoor education;
- The development of our International Education program;
- The return of the Special Olympics after a three-year hiatus - Special Olympics Track and Field Day;
- Our 20th Annual Bishop’s Dinner for Community Needs which raises money for community agencies supporting food security in our community, children’s programming, and mental health services; Bishop’s Dinner for Community Needs;
- Capital projects which will lead to an expansion of St. Joseph, Fergus, and a new childcare centre at St. Patrick; and
- The purchase of a new, more accessible, more efficient Catholic Education Centre at 255 Speedvale (effective September 1, 2023).
As we begin summer, we are thankful to our Creator for the gifts of light and warmth, of nature around us, and opportunities to connect with family and friends. We wish you and your family a safe and relaxing summer ahead.
Thank you for your support through this school year. We look forward to welcoming many new members to the Wellington Catholic family this September!
Director of Education
Mental Health Supports for the Summer - Over the summer months, mental health supports are available to students and their families both through the school board and in the community. Information on available supports and how to get in touch can be found on the Mental Health Summer Support page on our website.
Looking Forward to 2023-24 - We look forward to welcoming your children back beginning on Tuesday, September 5, 2023. To review the full 2023-24 school year calendar please click here. Information about the return to school in September will be provided from schools directly.
Interested in Sponsoring or Attending our Bishop’s Dinner? - The Wellington Catholic District School Board is hosting the 21st Annual Bishop’s Dinner for Community Needs on Thursday, October 5th, 2023. This past year we returned to an in-person event and were successful in hosting a fun-filled evening that supported organizations and families in our community. After 20 years of hosting this event, we have successfully raised over $750 000 to help support children’s educational programming, access to food for those in need in our community, mental health programs, environmental stewardship initiatives, and much more. This year we are committed to investments for four recipients in Guelph and Wellington. This year’s beneficiaries include Children’s Foundation of Guelph and Wellington, Canadian Mental Health Association – Waterloo- Wellington, Centre-Wellington Food Bank and St. Vincent De Paul Society. The success of the event is in credit to attendees and sponsors. For more information about the event or to purchase tickets, please visit: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/guelph-community-foundation/events/2023-bishops-dinner-2/ if you are interested in becoming a sponsor, please contact Sue-Ann Maharaj at [email protected].
Host Families for International Students Needed - Do you have a spare room? Host an international student in Guelph attending Our Lady of Lourdes CHS. MLI HOMESTAY (www.mlihomestay.com) is seeking enthusiastic and caring families to host 3 female international students from Japan from September to December 2023 and 2 female international students from Japan from September 2023 until June 2024. This provides and incredible experience for families to explore new cultures, learn about global issues and travel the world without leaving the comforts of your home. To learn more, please contact Shanice at [email protected] or 416-731-4457.
Reconnecting with your Parishes - Our local parishes would like to welcome families back to weekend Mass and other parish activities. We encourage families to reconnect with your parishes this summer as we re-build coming out of COVID. Please see the following message from Bishop Crosby: https://www.wellingtoncdsb.ca/apps/news/article/838431
Message from the Minister of Education - Please see the following video message from Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6INn6Fy56U