Specialized District Programs
Specialized District Programs - Overview
Specialized District Programs are offered and open to any student within the Wellington Catholic District School Board who meet the requirement for that program. This video series has been created to provide prospective students and their caregivers with an overview of each program.
Students who are selected to participate in a Specialized District Program that is offered at a site other than their home school may qualify for transportation to the program. For more information about the application process for Specialized District Programs please see your Guidance Counsellor.
RENOVATION - BUILDING MY COMMUNITY
As part of the Construction Specialist High Skills Major, this program will provide a hands-on experience in a three-credit technology program. Students participating in the Renovation- Building My Community program will be part of a construction crew that will work on framing, wiring, plumbing, insulating, drywalling, trimming and painting.
HOMEBUILD - NEW CONSTRUCTION
As part of the Construction Specialist High Skills Major, this program will provide a hands-on experience in a three-credit technology program. Students in the Homebuild - New Construction program will build a house on a residential housing site in the community. They will have opportunities to work with other trades including electrical, plumbing, concrete and HVAC.
The M&T Graphics Factory district program is a one-of-a-kind opportunity in Ontario. This co-op offering is available to grade 11 and 12 students who want to work from an off-site business location preparing real design/marketing work for real customers. M&T provides students with an exceptional experiential learning opportunity in business and technology that is not available in a traditional school setting.
TERRA: OUTDOOR ECOLOGICAL LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
Using the outdoors as its primary classroom, the Terra Program will facilitate students taking a Grade 10 academic program in experiencing four credits through the lens of outdoor education, character development, leadership, teambuilding, faith, and land stewardship. This specialized district program is a four-credit package – Theology (HRE 20E), Careers and Civics (CHV/GLC20E), Outdoor Activities (PAD 20E) and English (ENG 2DE).
Terra students will:
• engage in experiential learning in all subject disciplines, in a variety of different contexts
• plan, organize and facilitate activities for Grade 3 students at the Ignatius Jesuit Centre throughout the semester
• take full advantage of the location through gardening, prayer, food, reflection, camping, hiking, snowshoeing, canoeing and various other outdoor experiences that enhance awareness, team building and leadership
DUAL CREDIT PROGRAM
The Dual Credit program provides an opportunity for Grade 12 students to attend and experience college. Students will take courses in selected program areas.
A student taking a Dual Credit Program will be:
• provided with an opportunity to earn college credits while still in high school that will count on both the Secondary School and College transcript
• registered in a program offered in partnership with Conestoga College and the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
• registered in a Pre-Apprenticeship, Level I Apprenticeship, College certificate or diploma program
• combining theoretical and hands-on practical learning
Please see you Guidance Counsellor for more information about any of the Specialized District Programs: