Schools ordered to remain closed until June 26, 2020
The provincial government has ordered all publicly funded schools in Ontario to remain closed until June 26, 2020 in order to ensure the health and safety of our community and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
In addition to schools being closed, the following are cancelled/closed for the duration of the school closure:
- Community Use of Schools
- Before and After School Programs
- Child Care Centres that operate in our schools or on board property
- The Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) scheduled for March 31, 2020. There is currently no alternative date
- EQAO assessments scheduled during the remainder of the school year
- All WCDSB office sites are closed to the public
- All WCDSB playgrounds are closed
The health and safety of all students, staff and school communities is our top priority. As with all public health matters, the Wellington Catholic District School Board works closely with Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health and other health agencies to monitor and address concerns, and that is the case with COVID-19. Public Health is sharing information with the public on COVID-19, including how the virus spreads, symptoms of the virus and who is most at risk of infection.
Due to the rapidly evolving nature of the situation, please visit wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus for the most recent updates.
Do you have questions about COVID-19?
WDG Public Health has a call centre phone line to respond to community inquiries about COVID-19. If you have questions, please call WDG Public Health at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006. This line is open from 9am to 4 pm weekdays.
For more information please visit wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus.
Proactive measures taken in the WCDSB
The Wellington Catholic District School Board has a Pandemic Plan, which aligns with World Health Organization protocol and lays out actions to take for each phase of a pandemic. Staff continue to follow this plan as it relates to COVID-19.
Other proactive measures the WCDSB is taking include, but are not limited to:
- Staying in close contact with WDG Public Health
- Reporting school absences to WDG Public Health
- Reinforcing regular hand washing and proper hand hygiene
- Sharing reminders to be mindful of coughing and sneezing etiquette
- Reminding staff and students to stay home when they are ill
- Cleaning routines have been adjusted to include touch point cleaning, using disinfecting wipes on all touch-point surfaces such as door knobs, push bars, light switches, etc.
- Distributing additional bottles of hand sanitizer to schools
- Working with our Transportation Consortium (STWDSTS) on enhanced cleaning procedures for school buses
Health authorities have advice for Canadians who are planning to travel:
- For travel advice from the Public Health Agency of Canada visit https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html
- For additional instructions for travellers, visit the Public Health website at wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus.
Additional information from the WCDSB:
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to practice general infection prevention control. This includes:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- Stay home when you are ill. Parents/guardians should keep students home if they are ill.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and wash your hands.
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding COVID-19, visit wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus, or call WDG Public Health’s coronavirus call centre at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006, Monday – Friday 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Information from the Government of Canada
- Information from the Ministry of Health
- Government of Canada Travel Health Notices
- Novel coronavirus information sheet in multiple languages