Schools ordered to close March 14-April 5, 2020
The province has ordered all publicly funded schools in Ontario to close for two weeks following March Break, in response to the emergence in Ontario of COVID-19. As a result, Wellington Catholic DSB schools will be closed from March 14 to April 5, 2020.
In addition to schools being closed, the following are cancelled for the period of March 14 to April 5, 2020 (note the inclusion of the March Break):
- The Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT), originally scheduled for March 31, 2020, with further direction anticipated from the Ministry.
- Secondary school co-op placements, Dual Credit Programs and OYAP.
- Community Use of Schools, including all programs and camps scheduled to run over March Break.
- Before and After School Programs, and St. John Arthur and St. Michael childcare, that operate in our facilities.
- All field trips and excursions.
- All athletic and artistic competitions, and extracurricular activities.
For additional information please see the following letter:
The health and safety of all students, staff and school communities is our top priority. As with all public health matters, the Wellington Catholic District School Board works closely with Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health and other health agencies to monitor and address concerns, and that is the case with COVID-19. Public Health is sharing information with the public on COVID-19, including how the virus spreads, symptoms of the virus and who is most at risk of infection.
Due to the rapidly evolving nature of the situation, please visit wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus for the most recent updates.
Do you have questions about COVID-19?
WDG Public Health has a call centre phone line to respond to community inquiries about COVID-19. If you have questions, please call WDG Public Health at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006. This line is open from 9am to 4 pm weekdays.
For more information please visit wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus.
Proactive measures taken in the WCDSB
The Wellington Catholic District School Board has a Pandemic Plan, which aligns with World Health Organization protocol and lays out actions to take for each phase of a pandemic. Staff continue to follow this plan as it relates to COVID-19.
Other proactive measures the WCDSB is taking include, but are not limited to:
- Staying in close contact with WDG Public Health
- Reporting school absences to WDG Public Health
- Reinforcing regular hand washing and proper hand hygiene
- Sharing reminders to be mindful of coughing and sneezing etiquette
- Reminding staff and students to stay home when they are ill
- Cleaning routines have been adjusted to include touch point cleaning, using disinfecting wipes on all touch-point surfaces such as door knobs, push bars, light switches, etc.
- Distributing additional bottles of hand sanitizer to schools
- Working with our Transportation Consortium (STWDSTS) on enhanced cleaning procedures for school buses
Health authorities have advice for Canadians who are planning to travel:
- For travel advice from the Public Health Agency of Canada visit https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html
- For additional instructions for travellers, visit the Public Health website at wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus.
Additional information from the WCDSB:
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to practice general infection prevention control. This includes:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- Stay home when you are ill. Parents/guardians should keep students home if they are ill.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and wash your hands.
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding COVID-19, visit wdgpublichealth.ca/coronavirus, or call WDG Public Health’s coronavirus call centre at 1-800-265-7293 ext. 7006, Monday – Friday 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Information from the Government of Canada
- Information from the Ministry of Health
- Government of Canada Travel Health Notices
- Novel coronavirus information sheet in multiple languages