Student Trustee Application and Election
Apply To Become A Student Trustee
- A great learning experience and way to serve your community!
- Learn about political processes and the education system
- Gain valuable public speaking, research, leadership and evaluation skills
- Become the voice of students at important trustee meetings
What Are The Benefits?
- Mentored by a Board trustee and an in-school mentor
- Opportunity to attend conferences and events
- $2,500 honourarium
- Great experience for your resumé
How To Apply?
- Ensure you meet the Criteria For Becoming a Student Trustee (Section 2-Qualifications, pages 3,4).
- Read the Procedure Guidelines - Student Trustee Representation on the Board
- Fill out the on-line Expression of Interest for Student Trustee Form (pages 9,10) and submit to your Principal by Friday, May 1, 2020.
- Have your principal and parent complete their portion of the information on the Expression of Interest for Student Trustee Form (pages 11,12).
- Create a 1 minute campaign video and send to your Principal by May 1, 2020.
- Student videos will be posted to your school community May 4-15, 2020.
- Student vote, organized by school, will take place May 18-May 22, 2020.
- School Student Trustees (sometimes called Senators) and Board Student Senate Announced: May 25, 2020.
- Make a presentation at the Board Student Senate May 26, 2020 - the final decision for two (2) student trustee representatives is made by the Board Student Senate via secret ballot.
- Announcement of Student Trustees for 2020/2021: June 1, 2020 Board Meeting.
Questions can be directed to your school principal or to the Director of Education firstname.lastname@example.org.